Houston, TX 77002 US
Well respected, Downtown Houston financial services firm needs experienced Senior Accountant/Bookkeeper
Our client is a fabulous, long time Houston based full service financial services firm that works closely with investment clients. The company provides accounting work for some of their clients, and needs help in the team that does accounting work for these clients. This is a dream role for someone who has worked in public accounting but who is tired of keeping track of every billable hour. However, the work is varied, different daily and the team is great. This is a close knit team that works hard and goes home at 5. They look for someone who is responsible, dedicated and who enjoys new challenges, but who does not prefer public accounting as a long time career. This company offers exceptional benefits and opportunities for growth as well as a friendly, 40 hour work week.
Specific tasks include:
- Accumulate information from internal and external sources in order to generate and maintain comprehensive, tax basis records for clients consisting of individuals, estates, trusts, corporations, foundations and partnerships.
- Generate and maintain tax basis general ledgers and financial statements as needed.
- Maintain supporting documentation for general ledger input.
- Reconcile discrepancies between outside and internal reports in order to properly record information.
- Prepare various financial reports, budgets, and schedules as requested.
- Reconcile bank statements.
- Responsible for maintaining the complete process of client’s bill pay function which includes maintaining bill pay schedule, collecting bills, reviewing for accuracy, direct communication with vendors, processing for approval, handling any follow-up, and reporting.
- Experience in bill pay systems helpful, not required.
- Maintain capital asset files, including rolling forward cost basis and accumulated depreciation for various entities.
- Prepare lists detailing capital asset additions and deletions to be used in preparing tax returns.
This role will also help provide payroll services for clients:
- Maintain and reconcile payroll and checking accounts.
- Onboard new employees and collect required documentation.
- Communicate with employees for collection of hours/expenses and follow up on questions/requests from employees.
- Process payroll using ADP Payroll Services.
- Maintain employee files
This role will also assist in gathering tax information for outside CPAs for clients. This is a coordination role:
- Accumulating information from outside and inside sources.
- Following up on all open items.
- Reconciling Form 1099’s to cash received.
- Preparing schedules to be used in preparing tax return(s).
- Processing estimated tax payments for clients and tracking all federal and state tax payments and refunds.
- Roll forward basis in partnerships to properly reflect tax basis.
- Maintaining list of federal and state carry forwards for regular tax and alternative minimum tax, which includes carry forwards for capital losses, passive losses, net operating losses, and “at risk” losses.
- Maintaining depreciation schedules.
4 year degree strongly preferred
Strong experience in Quickbooks, Excel and Word required
3+ years experience in Bookkeeping or accounting in a CPA firm required, more preferred.
Client service oriented personality with friendly demeanor required